View Single Post
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-11-11, 14:33

Thanks to Musk buying Twitter and the mess of a company it is shaping into right now I was introduced to Mastodon. Prior to this week I knew nothing about it. Of course, I've dug into some of the technical aspects of running a server and it doesn't seem that bad if kept in a small scale: Install from source guide.

Their docs site explains the principles behind how it works in the practical user level sense.
Quote:
A Mastodon website can operate alone. Just like a traditional website, people sign up on it, post messages, upload pictures and talk to each other. Unlike a traditional website, Mastodon websites can interoperate, letting their users communicate with each other; just like you can send an email from your Gmail account to someone from Outlook, Fastmail, Protonmail, or any other email provider, as long as you know their email address, you can mention or message anyone on any website using their address.
This strikes me like the conceptual migration from email. Only less private. So I can microblog (Twitter's original goal) but mention someone with another server and have it cross connect so they would get the notice.

Reading through the docs some, anyone can spin up an instance with "one-click" deployments at places like Digital Ocean and such. Of course, pray nothing ever goes wrong if they have no idea how to run a linux server. Looking through the manual installer it seems pretty simple for someone like me or Brad. Again, the capacity would become the big challenge to overcome if there is a lot of direct media shared. Links to external sources wouldn't be a problem, but images or even small videos would chew threw storage at a blistering pace.

Anyone here using Mastodon currently? What is it like "day-to-day"?

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.