View Single Post
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2022-11-14, 07:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
This strikes me like the conceptual migration from email. Only less private. So I can microblog (Twitter's original goal) but mention someone with another server and have it cross connect so they would get the notice.
Yeah, basically.

If you flip it around, Twitter is like Mastodon but the instance is always Twitter.com. So my handle would be @chucker@twitter.com.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Anyone here using Mastodon currently? What is it like "day-to-day"?
It has some teething troubles especially now that there's been big influxes of users, but it's overall not that different.

You can pick a large instance like mastodon.social, which is probably inadvisable since the moderators feel understaffed, or you can pick a smaller one. In my case, I picked one dedicated to my region of northern Germany. You could also pick one for, say, an interest of yours (Star Trek, gardening, whatever). You mostly want to pick based on whether you think the instance's rules sound about right, and whether you trust the admins/mods to enforce them fairly. You can also migrate to a different instance later on.

(Recently, mastodon.technology shut down, with several weeks' notice in advance, so a lot of people had to migrate.)

One thing that's IMHO an improvement but has been controversial is content warnings (CWs). Some people simply treat them as topics (like an e-mail subject); others try to limit their use based on what they think not everyone may want to look at. (Some instances also have express rules that you must CW certain subjects.) Where it gets a bit tricky is when people tone-police each other over "you should've had a CW on this".

There's also a history of fiefdoms.

I gotta say, though, while I miss some of the Twitter users enough that I'm not really willing to shut that down just yet, Masto overall feels more pleasant.