View Single Post
mercmerc

2006-01-12, 22:15

I really, really need some help here guys.

I've been a Mac user for many years, and I have NEVER had the money to buy the newest Mac when they were released.

Well this time, I smelled that something big was coming from Macworld, so I sold my G5 Powermac tower set-up early in December, hoping that my gamble would pay off I would be able to get a new system with the money. And if not, I would just pick up the latest iMac G5 iSight.

This is where the irony comes in.

I now, first the first time ever, have the money to buy the cutting-edge Mac, the Intel iMac, but after research I see that it will 1)not run final cut that I have (ver4.5), and 2)I will have to shell out hundreds of dollars to get a new version/upgrade IN MARCH! So if I get the new Intel iMac, I won't be able to use Final Cut for two months (I need to use Final Cut all the time), and frankly, I don't even know if I'll have enough money to buy the upgrade, or a new version. Damnit!

So now I'm actually considering buying the top of the line iMac G5 iSight (which will run all the software I have, NOW), or buying the Intel iMac, and walking a tightrope with a machine that I can't fully use unless I sell some blood to upgrade my software. I guess my real question is: am I completely crazy to NOT buy the latest Mac and actually buy the old version? [I 'can' buy the Intel iMac and wait and pay for the upgrade, but the two months of no Final Cut will hurt my business]

ADVICE???