View Single Post
bostongeek

2006-01-13, 11:07

I would probably, if at all possible, go with a new Intel iMac or MacBook Pro. They are just much more powerful machines. If you can wait until the universal versions of Final Cut are released, that is what I would do. Apparently, if you currently have the latest version of Final Cut, you can crossgrade to the universal binary version for $49. If you dont have the most current version, it looks like they will offer fairly reasonable upgrade pricing (more info, apparently, will be released after February 1st).

You are going to get a lot more bang for your buck in the long run with the Intel based computers. In the short-run, it seems as though the G5 is your best bet. But, in the long run (and lets face it, you will probably have this computer for quite a few years) the Intel computer will fair better. Not only because it has better components (better video card, fast memory, etc), but because its resale value is probably a bit more predictable (if we believe that Intel-based Macs will hold their value like current Macs).

Just one person's opinion tho, and I don't have to live with it. I have an iMac G5 that I bought almost a year ago, and adore it. I am not looking to replace it anytime soon. Now, my PowerBook... that is a different story. I am hoping to get a MacBook Pro by the time summer rolls around.

BostonGeek

Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things. - Jack Burton