View Single Post
Frank777
Veteran Member

2010-01-21, 12:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
Good for them! Honestly!

But why ship useless books? I'm sorry, but if I were starving, dehydrated, and in need of antibiotics or simple painkillers, and some fucker handed me a *BOOK*, I'd beat him to death with it.
I seriously doubt anyone is being handed a Bible if they're not in a condition to read it. Again, no-one has alleged that any group is taking bibles instead of humanitarian aid. If you've ever been overcome with life events, or had an extended stay in a hospital or prison, you might be inclined to agree that the Psalms can be an effective "painkiller" for the soul.

Quote:
Every pound of Bible is a pound of food that isn't able to be shipped.
Untrue. Aid logistics don't work like that. I'd think there's likely enough food in Haiti right now to feed the whole island.
The major problem is likely distribution.

Quote:
When the Christian churches no longer have gilded altars, Crystal Cathedrals, and television production companies, I'll buy that reasoning. Not before.
I understand your sentiments, but from what I've heard of Scientology, there can be serious costs to be a member.

Christians may pass the offering bucket around a lot, but nobody pays five-figure sums just to advance to the "next level" of the organization's hierarchy. (Not in general anyway, there are always crazy people in any group.)