View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-02-05, 04:06

I agree about them.

When Glenn Frey died, they should’ve said “okay, we’re done...we’ve had an amazing run but we’re not going to proceed without a major, founding member who sings half of the songs” (and most of the good ones, IMO).

Frey and Henley were the “from the beginning” core of that group. The others - Leadon, Meisner, Felder, etc. - come and go. Walsh and Schmit aren’t originals but even they’re 40+-year “old timers”/veterans now. But this current version with Frey’s son Duncan and Vince Gill(!) does feel a bit off and cover band-y to me.

The Eagles, without Frey and Henley, just doesn’t feel right to me. They started it, they wrote/sang the bulk of the songs, they ran the show. Now it’s Henley, two non-original veterans and three ringers (young Frey, Gill and Steuart Smith on guitar, mostly filling the Felder spot after he was fired). The latter three feel tacked on/hired guns to me (and that’s no slam whatsoever; Vince Gill is amazing, but he just looks weird in this band). It would be like Foo Fighters hiring Elton John to be their new keyboard guy. It’s a bit much and detracts from both.

A lot of drama, this band. Holy crap!

They almost make Fleetwood Mac look squared away and sedate.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-02-05 at 04:37.