View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-12-01, 11:02

I traveled once for Thanksgiving, years and years ago. "Never again", I said. And I meant it.

It was the longest day of my life and, as you'd expect, nothing went smoothly or quite as planned/scheduled. It was a real-life buddy/travel comedy (minus the funny parts). It's why I'll always have a special place in my heart for Planes, Trains and Automobiles. I lived it!

Just too many people trying to get to too many places. And weather, mechanical issues, sloppy booking, etc. all coming together in a perfect storm of a miserable, crazy day. I honestly don't know what I was thinking...just trying to make a few people happy, I guess.

Mind you, this was well before the whole 9-11/TSA thing (and certainly pre-COVID, of course). I cannot imagine traveling on Thanksgiving or Christmas in 2020. There's no way. Just the thought of it makes me shiver, and want to sob in a corner. I'd rent a car and drive halfway across the country before I set foot in an airport at this particular time, especially during a holiday period.