View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-08, 11:53

As the only person here (okay, maybe one of 2-3) who gives a legitimate shit about the model, I feel kinda obligated to report on the latest...

I was surprised to see this:

Apple Reportedly Planning to Launch New iPhone SE Models in 2022 and 2023

Sounds a little wobbly, frankly. I could see the first 2022 option, which we're already expecting (this 2023 business is out of nowhere this morning). But why update the current model early next year, just to replace it with something completely different a year later? I'd either let the current SE "languish" another year with the A13 (because that's what they did with the original SE, never updating the guts, other than storage, in its two-and-a-half-years of existence) and then dazzle everyone with a full-face, true third-gen SE in 2023 (if there's any truth/legitimacy to this new rumor).

But I'll take any good SE news! I certainly can't go another year of holding out, so I'll get whatever comes in early 2022.

I love the idea of owning every design/model of the SE. To do so, I'll need to get the updated current model in 2022, nicely setting me up to get a true third-gen model 2-3 years later.

I do wish they'd put the SE on some sort of predictable cycle, even if it's 2-4 years between truly "new", redesigned models (with an under-the-hood processor update at the halfway point?). People buying the flagship iPhones can always make a plan...they can be fairly certain new models are announced every September (that's been the case for how long now?) and that the previous year's model(s) will slide down $100, etc. Easy to make a plan with those models.

The SE is just a big mystery box, all this time, for over five years now. They release one, yank it after two-and-a-half years, come out with a new model out of nowhere in 2020, don't touch it for 18+ months, now rumors of an unheard-of "two models in two years", etc. How in the hell is anyone (okay, me) supposed to know/plan anything with all that craziness?