View Single Post
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-09-11, 21:38

We're just 24 hours and change away from Nintendo's 3DS press conference. Again, Nintendo doesn't do TGS, so expectations are high. They're obviously going to officially announce Monster Hunter Tri G and the expanded controller, and that alone is worth a press conference, but if this is going to also replace their annual October media event — and it seems like it is — they'll have to show more. Also, if the expanded controller is more than a Monster Hunter accessory, and is actually a larger part of Nintendo's 3DS strategy, they might want to announce at least one first-party title that takes advantage of it.

The last-minute rumor of the moment is that Nintendo is about to revive its old (pre-video-games!) Mach Rider franchise with a 3DS installment called Mach Rider: Unchained. This rumor is just weird enough that I think it might be true. With Kid Icarus: Uprising (note the similar title) Nintendo has shown recent interest in reviving their older franchises, and new systems in general are always a boon for "new" IP. And Mach Rider — a motorcycle combat racer — seems like the type of game that could benefit from the extra triggers/shoulder buttons of the expanded controller (Wikipedia notes that the original NES game was renowned for its complex-for-its-day controls; you had to switch gears!).

It's also perhaps worth noting that Nintendo has a second-party studio partner — Minnesota-based Monster Games — that specializes in non-Mario-Kart racing games (they made ExciteTruck and ExciteBots). But they're a smaller studio, and their most recent game — 3DS launch title Pilotwings Resort — just came out a few months ago. So it might be too soon for MGI's next project to be unveiled.

Still, I believe it. It just so out-of-left-field (so, "Nintendo"); I don't think anyone would think of making up a Mach Rider revival. But it's also possible that I'm just more inclined to believe it because Nintendo motorcycle combat game.

What are your thoughts, GamingNova?

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong