View Single Post
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2008-06-06, 20:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple007 View Post
I'm sure your concern isn't unique among writers. Have you asked around or posted on any writers' forums to see what steps they take to safeguard their material?
Mmhmm. The usual answer seems to be "not much" (chances are, they don't even back-up ). Which is weird, because those are usually the same authors who don't want to tell their agents their plots for fear of their agents "stealing" their ideas, or they make agents and editors sign NDAs, and generally act all unprofessional about it (agents don't steal plot ideas, ever).

I know nobody would really steal my laptop for my writing, they'd steal it for the laptop (or possibly some personal information). I'm not famous enough for anyone to give a damn about my novel, and I have no delusions otherwise. So the steps I take are mainly to make me feel better. I just wouldn't want a copy of my book out in the wild, out of my control, even if the person with it doesn't give a shit about it.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong