View Single Post
Freewell

2007-01-30, 15:47

I have never understood people who claim not to believe in anything that they cannot see, touch, hear, or logically explain. How do they account for such things as temperature, wind and gravity? You cannot for even a split second see, touch or hear any of them, and yet you see their handiwork and essential revelance to human life everywhere you look.

I cannot tell you how many times I have heard from those who have chosen not to have faith in God that "God doesn't love me, and therefore doesn't exist, (because if He doesn't love me and He said He does, then He lied, and therefore is not God) if He doesn't meet me on my terms!" It seems to be the number one argument to "prove" that there is no God. Yet I have seen these very individuals demonstrate their faith in the unseen by using a parachute when skydiving, safety harnesses when rock climbing, and restraint devices on rollercoasters. I have come to the conclusion that it is not so much that they refuse to have faith in something unseen and unexplainable, but rather what they choose to have faith in! You either believe that the universe was intricately created intentionally by Someone far bigger than all of this, or that it all just fell together in a cosmic crap shoot from total disarray and chaos into magnificent functioning order. Either choice requires a great deal of faith. It is simply what you choose to put your faith in.

Then, as Drew mentioned, there are those subjects that truly defy logic, things like supernatural intervention... For instance, when I was barely three, one of my clavicles was basically shattered. The doctor told my parents that it may never heal properly, and that I would need to spend basically every moment, for the next 2-4 months in a sling if they were to have any hope whatsoever of it ever healing. Yet, two weeks later, of my own accord, I simply prayed that "Jesus (would) make my 'shoulder' all better, so I can play with my toys." No fanfare, no religiosity, just a simple prayer from a child's heart. Yep, you got it! The doctor was so astounded after looking at the x-rays glaring truth all over the place the next day, that he looked at my parents, and announced loudly that "This is nothing short of the hand of God!" In fact, I have since had x-rays of that same clavicle taken, and doctors swear that it has never been so much as fractured! It is perfectly new. Then again, I guess there are those who would merely rationalize it all away and tell me that my body just, for whatever reason decided to evolve in super fast-forward motion for those two weeks, or that the doctor misdiagnosed me to begin with and it is all very logical. Like I said... Either persuasion requires faith! The choice is an individual prerogative.