View Single Post
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-09-13, 15:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by noleli2 View Post
  • Can be comfortably used in one hand
  • Doesn’t have a notch
  • Sits flat on a table without a case (no camera bump)
  • Has a headphone jack
Well, glad to see you popping in.
  • Can be comfortably used in one hand: Yep. Lots of people want that, and Apple is missing the boat. An iPhone 5SE-sized phone is in high demand.
  • Doesn’t have a notch: Next rev, they will all have notches*, even a 5SE-sized phone. Although I do not understand the gripe here. I have an iPhone X and the notch has never once been any kind of a bother.
  • Sits flat on a table without a case (no camera bump): I can understand this in certain circumstances. There are lots of people who don't want to use a case. However, cameras are now the primary use of most smart phones, and good camera optics require space. Either the phones grow in thickness and weight (which will get its own set of complaints) or there are bumps. there is no happy middle ground in this space.
  • Has a headphone jack: The headphone jack is gone, no matter what. It will never return! This is one of those areas where iPhone users (and all future smart phone users) are just going to have to get used to it. Headphones used to have nothing but 1/4" jacks. Then the mini-jack came along. Before either of those, there were two 1/4" plugs (for stereo) or a single plug for mono. Punch cards, ticker tape, VHS, cassette, you name it. Old tech goes away and we either get on board with the new tech and adapt to it, or we fall off the train. BUT! I totally get the spot you are in, which seems to involve plugging in other things. You are going to have to find a way to cross the hurdle (which may cost money) or you are going to have to stick with old tech.

* This is a temporary thing. Eventually, the tech will be good enough for Apple to either A) have a single hole for the sensor array, or B) have the sensors burried beneath the screen. Not sure how far away we are from that. What I know, IMO, is that the phones out there that are "full screen" (they're not, actually, but Android lovers like to pretend they are) and have a tiny hole in the screen for the camera are actually uglier than an iPhone X—by a long shot! Apple's solution is symmetrical and serves a purpose; Androids also serve a purpose: to check a box.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)