View Single Post
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2019-09-17, 08:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by noleli2 View Post
I have to disagree about the camera bump, though. A camera with optics of the caliber most phones have these days is totally unnecessary, at least for me. The camera on my SE is just fine. Heck, the camera on my 5 was pretty darn good for casual, everyday photos. It’s just a spec war, to the detriment of industrial design.
It may be a spec war, but also,
  • the camera is increasingly one of the primary applications people use on their "phones" (which, really, are just mobile computers, not telephones)
  • this goes particularly for high-end phones. If you don't care about the camera, some $199 Android phone is probably good enough, and Apple can't/won't compete in that market segment.

As for headphone jack vs. none, bump vs. thicker phone, notch vs. wider bezel, etc., those are all design trade-offs that can be argued for and against.

My gut feeling says I'd rather have a slightly thicker phone without the bump and with more battery life. But my experience also says it never really wobbles unless I almost force it to. I'd also like the headphone jack back, primarily because I can't plug those Lightning headphones into my Mac, which is weird. But that's kind of a first-world problem. Lastly, I haven't had a notch phone yet, but I get the sense that wouldn't bother me at all (whereas I thought the bump would bother me, and turns out it basically never does).