View Single Post
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2010-02-12, 21:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
For a pro? No. Way. In. Hell.
But the most commonly used functions are going to be the most commonly used whether or not you're a pro.

If you're a pro, it really shouldn't be a problem to navigate the inspector or menu system, right? In fact, if you're really a pro, you're using keyboard shortcuts.

Duplicating the functionality of the menu bar with a ribbon doesn't really help anyone. It confuses the novice and wastes screen space for the pro. Arguably the ribbon helps the transition from novice to pro by putting everything right in front of the user's face, but I think a floating inspector window works much better, because it's more flexible.

I think the ribbon makes much more sense on Windows because it fuses the menu bar with the toolbar, which basically makes for a more image-oriented menu system. But on a Mac, where the menu bar is pinned to the top? It's just a colossal waste of space. The Mac way to do something like the ribbon is the inspector, and for good reason. The less crap around your actual workspace, the better.

Of course, the Mac Office team's goal isn't to make Mac Office more Mac-like. They want it to be just like Windows Office, because that's what everyone's used to. So we get shit like the ribbon even though it doesn't really belong.

Thank Steve for Pages. I switched two years ago and haven't looked back.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.

Last edited by Kraetos : 2010-02-12 at 23:00.