Thread: Pets v.2
View Single Post
Windswept
On Pacific time

2005-07-24, 16:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuonRotto
Dammit, every time I tell myself that it's a bad idea to get a dog, I either see one outside or I find this thread again. You people are torturing me!

Advice sought:

single guy,

should I even consider getting a dog? .…
Getting a dog really is a huge decision. It's a major commitment, especially if you don't have friends/relatives eager and willing to care for him/her when you travel.

I loved my dog dearly and took her with me on long car trips (eg. for six weeks at a time). But she was huge, and sometimes it was difficult finding places to stay that would accept large dogs. As a result, I ended up sleeping in my car seat from time to time. Fortunately it was quite comfortable.

I should mention, that if you get a sweet-looking, attractive dog, when you take her walking girls will likely come over to pat her and make a fuss over her. This is especially true for puppies, of course. When Kristie was a puppy and I took her for walks, people would literally fall to their knees and go into raptures over how adorable she was. They just "had" to get their hands on her fluffy little coat and play with her for a minute or two. She really was a cutie. So, add "attracting very nice members of the opposite sex" to the list of benefits of having a dog. Anyway... at least it's something to consider.