View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-05-15, 16:28

On a somewhat-related note, I see where Disney+ is now up to 138M subscribers.

I remember running vague numbers ~18 months ago, barely over the 100M mark, to talk about much Disney+ was bringing in monthly.

Via Googling, the two main price tiers for Disney+ look to be $6.99/month for ad-supported, and $12.99/month for ad-free.

Forgetting the $12.99 completely and just using the lower tier as a bare minimum...

138,000,000 subscribers x $6.99 a month = $964,620,000 (as always, someone check my math).

I know that's a rough figure because some could be grandfathered in at lower pricing, while others may be part of some bundle (or deals through various carriers), etc. Fine, whatever. I'm accounting for all that. And I know that's not all profit...stuff has to be paid for, etc. I realize that too.

The important part is that, however you want to slice it, Disney seems to be bringing in just under $1B a month simply from a bunch of silly Marvel, Star Wars and Disney/Pixar shit.

And when you factor in that a certain percentage is paying $12.99/month, then they probably do blow past the $1B mark!

That's pretty impressive/healthy! No, it's not all profit. But I bet a boatload of it is. More than they were bringing in back in mid-May of 2017, just five short years ago.

I can't even grasp numbers that high, coming in that steadily. One month of this should fund years' worth of Marvel, Star Wars and other projects/fare, easily.

Disney+ is basically a money-printing machine. If any of their shows look less than stellar/believable, they have zero excuse at this point. They're bringing in, in one month, basically what was spent over the course of five or so years to bring three feature films to the big screen between 2015-2019 (production, marketing, etc.). When you kinda view it all through that perspective, it almost seems like J.J. Abrams just completely wasted a bunch of their money for a few years...