View Single Post
writesimon

2004-09-01, 12:14

Hi.
So, after waiting for the spectacular powerbook reveals at the Paris Expo, I'm now wondering what to do.
Basically need to buy a new powerbook, ideally now but could wait 1-2 months if absolutely necessary.
The one I'm interested in is the 12inch with superdrive. A few questions though for anyone who might have some advice....
1) When is the next big Apple event? It seems like there were - and are - plenty of signs something big was going to happen with powerbooks. For instance, here in the UK, it's now almost impossible to buy them from major retailers, the only place being the apple store which takes two weeks. one place I spoke to said they could usually order them but this option had been removed from their computers.
Also, they're doing an absurd amount of promos (cram and jam, the HP printer thing, powerbook bags for half-prices) which seem suspiciouly like stock-shifting.
And given the new imac looks like they've solved some of the G5 heat issues, who thinks it's worth hanging on a little longer? Till when? Cram and Jam finishes November 2nd...
2)Are all the paris announcements finished?
3)If I do go ahead and get the powerbook now, is 256 enough ram? Can I buy it and add it later, or will that affect applecare warranty?
4) I want to get speakers too, ones that I can sit on my desk and sound good to listen to music whilst i work, not just tinny sound like a walkman turned up loud! Anybody got any recommendations here?

many thanks for any advice you anybody can give.
all best
simon