Thread: World Cup 2010
View Single Post
AWR
Veteran Member

2010-05-02, 15:20

England is (remains) the most overrated team, as usual. I feel bad for them actually, the English press builds up expectations built on very unsure foundations. (I suppose a lot of national teams feel the same pressure.) Nothing against England at all, of course, but they are no longer a top-flight squad; they are as close to the Americans and the Danish as they are to the Spanish or the Arggies. Fear not curiousuburb (strange feeling that this post will singlehandedly ensure Engulund wins the Cup).

As usual the US vacillates between world beaters and bottom feeders. The US team that showed up and beat African champs 3-0, Euro champs Spain 2-0, and put two past South American champs Brazil (full squads all), before losing 2-3 in the Confederations Cup is a handful, and I like their chances against England. The US team that played Holland in a friendly a few months ago stunk. The USA group with Algeria and Slovenia, along with England, is no picnic. The US will have to play very well to get out, which of course is true for all of the teams in any group.

My prediction is Spain should Iniesta get healthy; otherwise Argentina via raw talent, in spite of their coach.

Edit: btw, ron who's out for the US; is it grim?