View Single Post
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2010-06-16, 13:17

I put this in quite quickly tonight in a spare moment. Looks better when it's in motion. You'll see a video soon.
In static shots it looks aliased and dotty, but I can fix that with slightly thicker lines. It's a trade off on the iPhone screen without proper anti-aliasing though. Thicker lines can also be overkill.

In any case when the landscape's in motion you lose the bitty feel, and I can affect the colours of the lines to reflect stuff going on, blend it better. Perhaps the line colour can also affect the state of the planets stability as you get low on humanoids etc. And when the planet is about to get destroyed and you enter "Deep Space" (Defender aficionados will know what I mean by that) we could fade the landscape out and leave just the wire frame for a few seconds... before it all disintegrates!

I think just as a quick mock-up in this shot it already adds quite a lot to the landscape. But on reflection, looking at the static shot here, it certainly looked better when I was flying around!

I just came up with the idea of moving the blast from Smart Bombs out across the landscape through those landscape segments... in a ring growing out from your ship. I'll have a think about how to do that and add it to my ever growing list of wacky ideas!

Needless to say I'll refine it more yet. But just wanted to share as I go along.

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt