View Single Post
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-01-08, 13:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Out of curiosity, is that actually a problem? Most computers aren't running flat-out all the time, and, at least in my experience, laptops less frequently than desktops. Does it hurt anything to use an under-spec'd PS to keep a laptop charged up while it's mostly idle and then let it pull from its battery and the PS while under heavy load? I've always assumed it'd be fine, but I don't think I've ever tried it. I mean, I suppose it'll depend on how sophisticated the charging and power delivery circuits are, but with USB-C and TB 3 both being able shove so much power through all those ports, maybe that level of sophistication is inherently necessary these days.
It really matters when running VMs that consume tons of power/CPU. My MBP would slowly deplete over time during my normal usage. I really should be using a desktop, not an MBP for the work I put my machines through. Would it technically function? Sure, but then when I want to go mobile (which is happening more and more) then I don't have a half dead machine. Do you know how much battery Minecraft consumes?

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.