View Single Post
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2005-11-19, 18:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker
It is a ridiculous claim to say that Germany downplays its nazi past. Not a single topic in school is covered more comprehensively, in almost every possible subject -- Politics and History (duh), German (regarding related literature), English (the British view), French (France's view), Music and Art (how artists were treated / how they tried to handle it), Religion (suppression of Christianity, Judaism and other religions), etc.

Really, if anything, the subject is exaggerated. Downplayed it is not.
I'll second this one, though chucker obviously has a leg up on me for actually having lived in Germany.

I studied German in high school and from my teacher and other readings it was made pretty apparent that the Germans, in fact, dislike their involvement in WWII more than anyone else.

Of course the grass always looks greener on the other side, but from my perception of Germany, some days I wish we here in the United States would learn a few lessons from them.

That being said, my understanding is that Turkish immigrants in Germany continue to have ... trouble. Is that accurate, chucker, or am I misinformed?

Apparently I call the cops when I see people litter.