View Single Post
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2007-08-22, 05:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinney View Post
The local shop where I buy much of my Apple stuff is a hole-in-the-wall that used to be a quiet place with friendly, knowledgeable staff and service. Now it seems to be constantly busy, prices for 3rd-party products and for Apple-certified service have gone way up, the staff is overworked and rude, and the wait times for the simplest service are long (and the staff say that it will only further delay matters if you phone them to ask when your machine will be ready.)

I would go somewhere else, but there are not a lot of choices here in Ottawa. A lot of places here are now selling Macs that used to just sell PCs, but not many are supporting them. The list of Apple-certified service centres is short, and all of them are small little shops with limited staff.

My theory is that sudden take off in Apple sales has left the local Apple technical support capability behind. I expect (hope) that Apple popularity will create the demand that will eventually increase local capabilities, but in the meantime things are rough.

In my case, all I wanted was to install more RAM on my Intel Mini. I have performed this task myself on a previous Mac, but the newest Mini internal design was a bit more than I wanted to take on. To get this done at the local shop, I am paying more than double the online price for RAM, a large extra service charge for installation, and I am faced with an indefinite wait. I should have just done it myself.
Part of the price having to be paid for Apple products becoming more popular unfortunatly.