View Single Post
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-06-14, 20:44

So I've added a new switch to another existing fan. I forgot to take a picture of the label side for my records or to share here, but it's this one (Aeotec Z-Wave Micro Smart Energy Dimmer). This one is also wired so I can use the pull chain like a normal fan light control. You wouldn't know it was Z-Wave unless you read this post or I told you. The one difference of this switch vs the one I posted earlier is how the light actually goes from off to on or vice versa. With the first switch the lights are on or off "instantly". With this dimmer switch it goes from off through the brightness scaling up until it reaches the brightness level you set. When you turn it off it goes from the level it was set to down gradually to off.

This isn't very long, but it's not "instant on" by any stretch. Think CFL on a very cold morning and add more time.

This one is a dimming light controller so I can have it turn on and adjust the brightness as well now. This is very cool as far as I'm concerned because I've set the light to turn on at my old alarm clock time. My idea being use this control to make the room brighter "naturally" like daylight coming in to wake me up. I've adjusted my alarm clock time to be 10 minutes later in hopes that I'll be able to move away from it completely.

The other awesome part about this particular switch is that it monitors your energy usage too. It reports it to the Z-Wave Controller that logs the usage. Then you can see historically how much it's used.

So I also got an Aeon Labs Aeotec Z-Wave Smart Energy Meter that needs to be installed still. I wouldn't mind doing this one other than it goes in the breaker box and I don't want my insurance company telling me I did something wrong if something were to go wrong. Plus I need a circuit added to my panel anyway. I hope to have this added within the week so I can see my whole home usage!

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.