View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-10-22, 19:53

Same here, except it was through my parents (I have only one, younger sister). They had me when they were quite young, so while all my friends had parents who were well into their 30's (and sometimes 40's) and not big into rock/pop and its various offshoots, my Mom and Dad were only in their mid-and-upper 20's during my formative years, and K-6 schooling. They had an amazing record collection - rock, country, blues, bluegrass, folk, pop and R&B from the 50's, 60's and 70's - that just seeped into me during those years, and it's why I still like so many of the people I do.

I guarantee you I was the only third grader who could sing any one of 15-20 Buddy Holly songs. Or even knew who he was (I was a liner note junkie...screw Dick, Jane and Spot).

But that "Bridge Over Troubled Water" album was always one of my favorites, and I'd listen all the time...still do. "Cecelia" was on there, as was "Baby Driver"[/url], "Keep the Customer Satisfied" (where I learned what the words "slander" and "libel" meant...I looked them up), "The Only Living Boy in New York" and, of course, the title track. I love that album. It's so pretty and just puts me in a mood everytime I listen (bought it on CD - and eventually digitized it - as I grew up...the LP is still at Mom's somewhere; I should go find it).