View Single Post
HOM
The Elder™

2005-10-28, 10:05

Ok, so all the work I've been doing that has kept me from regular posting at .org will be coming to an end in the very near future. I'm looking to completely overhaul my home theater/tv setup when I get done.

Right now, the only piece that I have is my PC Media Center that acts as my Tivo/jukebox/dvd player/ect. It's got DVI and can easily power an HDTV. Beyond that, I'm going to go nuts and buy everything new.

So, these are the components that I need and my budget:

I'm looking to spend no more than $5000 on all the equipment.

HDTV: 37" +

I'm not really sure what to do here. All the competing technologies have their strengths and weaknesses. Plasmas look great and have great contrast ratios, but are extremely expensive in the 40"+ sizes. LCD's are cheap and are amazingly bright, but have poor contrast and darks and blacks can be washed out. Rear projection seems to be the best $/inch, but can look washed out and the boxes themselves are gigantic. Projectors are cheap and have huge viewing areas, but require a screen and a dark room.

I'd really like some input on what people have or what they recommend.

Receiver: 2 DVI Inputs

I want whatever receiver I get to have at least 2 DVI inputs so I can hook up my PC and my HDTV cable box to it without having to use component. Beyond that, I'm really not too much of an audiophile and don't really know what to look for.

5.1/7.1 Sound:

Don't really know what to look for here so any advice is appreciated.

So .org, help me spend a shit ton of money on new gear!

CARTHAGO DELENDA EST

¡Viva La Revolucion!