View Single Post
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-06-26, 13:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
How do you think he earned his title? Hint: it wasn't a self-imposed one.
However did you get your username, Brad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capella View Post
Capella is the name of a star. I acquired it in my last year of middle school, which I guess would be 2000, as my Sailor Senshi identity for a fan-character Sailor Moon LARP I was running. That game ran for about two years and I got somewhat used to answering it, so when the game ended, I recycled it for a character for a heavily Harry Potter inspired RP which also lasted two to three years.

Around that time I stopped just reading the internet and started joining the internet in a participatory form- I am rather pleased that I am still a member of the first forum I ever joined, actually- and I was at a loss for a username, so since I was used to answering to Capella in real life, I registered with it.

Fun fact: I answer better to Capella than I do to my birth name. I hate my birth name, and I hate people using it. If I'm meeting a stranger I'm never going to interact with again, or if it's my parents, I use my birth name. With everyone else, it's Capella. In fact, when I eventually change my legal name, which I plan on doing when I have the money, Capella is going to be my middle name. So I plan on sticking with it for a good long time.
Capella is also the name of an online university I see ads for all the time.

Off-topic (click to toggle):
My parents and my dad's dad are and always were the only people who call me by my birth name, too, and of course they always will. It weirded me out, hearing strangers use it, until I finally (legally) changed it. But I was one of those weird people whose "real" name was always different than their birth/legal name. I briefly thought about changing my name to something actually different but I thought that would be hard to get used to.

If any of you have the misfortune of being John, I highly recommend being Jack instead. It's a simple but dramatic improvement, like dropping the "-ley" from Bradley. The Importance of Being Ernest apparently had it in reverse, as I have had several attractive women tell me that they had always wanted a boyfriend named Jack. Alas, they were fated to continue wanting a boyfriend name Jack. But clearly, the name is in short supply. (Won't someone think of the attractive women?)

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong