Thread: LoCash
View Single Post
utterer

2005-06-01, 09:51

I have known Jack for well over 7 years. It started with playing NetMech over Hotline. Back then he was just corner. From the games played we formed a friendship along with a group of other users. We all moved on our separate ways in the real world but still remained connected through chatting online.

During the summer of 1998 I think it was, Jack and I started our own website, Mac3d.com. We played games, so why not write about them. Well at least that is what we told everybody because secretly Jack and I just competed to see who could get more free tshirts at the different expos we traveled to. The site gave me access to do things I never thought possible, I exhibited at a few Macworlds, played games before the common people could and travel all over and tell people that I am there for a computer show without feeling like a total dork.

Without Jack this would not have been possible, he possessed the HTML wizardry (yes this was when we just used HTML and CGI still) to make the site not only appealing to the eyes but add features people hadn't even thought of at the time (having site feeds that only Mac IE would support long before RSS comes to mind).

Sure we parted ways from the website, but it was amicable and we chatted online occasionally as well. The real life memories remain still from the trips to the above mentioned conventions, the late night trips to Kinkos in San Francisco to have our business cards made up, setting up our "booths" at the Macworld Expos in NY and San Francisco to cover the Mac Gaming Championships events (anyone else remember those?), the time him and another online acquaintance visited me at school and we had to spend most of the time telling people how we know each other over the internet but it isn't some type of weirdo love triangle at a lame frat party, the list goes on and on..

Jack I regret not being able to chat online with you more often. I am glad that we were able to remain friends through so many years. You were one of the few people that I knew online that I was also able to meet in real life without worrying for my own safety

Rest in Peace.
-frank
thefrank@gmail.com