View Single Post
Wrao
Yarp

2006-03-10, 14:41

It's a mixed bag of nature and nurture. I have a 3 octave vocal range(2+ normal 1 falsetto) I can sing in tune(for the most part) and I understand harmony, melody and rhythm. Am I a good singer? Not really. Could I be a good singer? certainly. Could I ever be an amazing, jaw dropping, voice that makes you want to go save a bunch of kittens singer? Not likely, but I could be as good as I can be and I'm sure it would be good. I covered a D'angelo song some months ago. At the time I thought I did a decent job with the vocals, I listen to it today and cringe. I will not ever be able to sing like D'angelo, and if I try to, I will sound like a bad singer.

The thing about singing, good or bad, is that as much as the voice and abilities of the vocalist matter, the song and the context they are sitting in matters as much or more(in some cases). You can be a fairly crappy singer, but the songs that you write work with what you have and make your voice shine.

In some ways, all it takes to be a great singer is to be comfortable with your voice. That means knowing what you can do with it, and recognizing what you can't.

There are some truly exceptional voices out there, people who, when they sing you just feel good, their voice in and of its own is a wonderful instrument. There is a large amount of natural ability to that, but without practicing and developing their voice(By whatever means), it would never reach the level it gets.

So, basically. Anyone can be a singer(for the most part) but some people will be more inclined or less inclined naturally to excel at it. Barring some extremes of course, it's within just about anyone's ability to learn how to use their voice well.