View Single Post
Unch

2006-03-10, 15:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast3r3x
Just because it's not a standard voice doesn't mean it's not singing. He has an awesome voice that apparently millions of people like.
It's nothing to do with "non-standard", hell, I like "non-standard" over conventional. It's about the guy possessing absolutely no talent whatsoever. Not only can he not sing for toffee, but, as someone put it the other day, he "has the lyrical integrity of a 7 year old with a rhyming dictionary".

If the "millions" you're talking about are the record buying public, then it's probably a good idea to point out that 2Unlimited also sold millions of records, but that still doesn't make any part of their music "awesome"

I hate to be so cynical on a Friday evening, but it's nothing more than a package product, put together by a record company to hit a certain demographic.

Step 1. Find a prettyboy wannabe songwriter
Step 2. Get a half decent producer to do the record, while keeping the illusion it is "his"
Step 3. Bit of the right marketing, and product placement
Step 4. Profit!

The market is flooded with the same thing at the moment. How long it lasts before the industry wears out the novelty, who knows. It was kind of telling when he was given the Brit award for "Best Pop Act", and looked completely bemused by it, the poor clueless sod. Oh how the suits were chuckling about that one.

Incidentally, his speaking voice is pretty screwed up too, not that I can point fingers, after all I sounded like that when I was 13 and my voice started to break.

Of course there is the Emperor's new clothes aspect to it. Anyone who dares point out that his choruses (yes I've heard the whole album) sound like someone with a sore throat trying to pass a kidney stone is immediately branded one of several labels because they "don't get it".

I'm not usually this negative about stuff, but this guy really gets on my tits.

"It's like a new pair of underwear. At first it's constrictive, but after a while it becomes a part of you."