View Single Post
shatteringglass

2006-07-11, 17:04

I never said that because nuclear power is dangerous, we should keep using coal. (I only used coal as an example for comparison.) That would be stupid. Nor did I say that nuclear power was a worse alternative compared to the current ones, because they all have disadvantages. I am saying that it won't offer the type of benefits that people are trying to find in an alternative energy source, and that it's a bad place to look.

Also, I don't have a problem with a centralized location for the storage of toxic radioactive materials, like Yucca Mountain. I am worried, however, about the transport of such materials. There is a lot of nuclear waste to move, and it will take years to move it, and that's with daily shipments of waste from across the country. I figure trying to move waste from, say, Maine all the way to Yucca Mountain would be a nightmare. To create even more nuclear waste would just be foolhardy.

It is true that no matter how you produce energy, there will be some loss during transmission. I remember my environmental economics and geology classes doing a thorough evaluation of the efficiency of the different types alternative energy sources, and nuclear power was pretty low on the list. Now, if only I can find my notes...