View Single Post
Windswept
On Pacific time

2007-10-11, 20:58

Thought it might be interesting to see how AN members are thinking of casting their vote for president, when November, 2008, rolls around.

Of course, this poll is anonymous.

I haven't decided for whom I wish to vote yet in real life, so don't know what I'll do with this poll.

I hope I have enough poll options for all 18 candidates. If not, I'll have to leave out a few.

Please give me ten minutes to type the poll.

A list of candidates, for both parties:

Democrats

Senator Joe Biden

Joe Biden, born November 20, 1942, in Scranton, Pennsylvania, U.S. Senator from Delaware, 1973–Present.

Senator Hillary Clinton

Hillary Rodham Clinton, born October 26, 1947, in Illinois, U.S. Senator from New York and former First Lady of the United States. Many Republicans appear to be hoping that Senator Clinton will run for President, presumably believing her to be a polarizing figure.

First Lady of Arkansas: 1979–1981 and 1983–1992
First Lady of the United States: 1993–2001
U.S. Senator from New York: 2001–present

Senator Christopher Dodd

Christopher Dodd, was born May 27, 1944, in Connecticut and is a five-term U.S. Senator from that state. U.S. Senator from Connecticut: 1981–Present.

U.S. Representative from the Connecticut's 2nd congressional district: 1975–1981

Former Senator John Edwards

John Edwards, born June 10, 1953, in South Carolina, former U.S. Senator from North Carolina, 1999–2005.

Director of the Center on Poverty, Work, and Opportunity at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill: 2005–2006
Council on Foreign Relations.

Former Senator Mike Gravel

Mike Gravel, born May 13, 1930, in Springfield, Massachusetts. U.S. Senator from Alaska from 1969 to 1981 and an active candidate for Vice President in 1972.

He is most known for playing a key role in ending the draft during the Vietnam War through the release of the Pentagon Papers and through staging a one-man filibuster for 5 months. Alaska State Representative: 1962–1966 (Speaker: 1965–1966)
U.S. Senator from Alaska: 1969–1981.

Representative Dennis Kucinich

Dennis Kucinich, born October 8, 1946, in Cleveland, Ohio. Ohio Congressman, former Mayor of Cleveland, and 2004 Democratic primary candidate.

Dennis Kucinich is known by many as "The Peace Candidate", having received the 2003 Gandhi Peace Award. Kucinich opposed the war in Iraq and the Patriot Act.
Mayor of Cleveland: 1978–1979
U.S. Representative from Ohio's 10th congressional district: 1997–Present

Senator Barack Obama

Barack Obama, born August 4, 1961, in Honolulu, Hawaii, U.S. Senator from Illinois. A "draft Obama" movement began with his well-received 2004 Democratic National Convention keynote address.
U.S. Senator from Illinois: 2005–Present

Governor Bill Richardson

Bill Richardson, born November 15, 1947, in Pasadena, California, Governor of New Mexico, former U.S. ambassador to the United Nations, Secretary of Energy and U.S. Representative. If elected he would be the first Hispanic American to hold Presidential Office.

Governor of New Mexico: 2003–Present
United States Secretary of Energy: 1998–2001
United States Ambassador to the United Nations: 1997–1998
U.S. Representative from the New Mexico's 3rd congressional district: 1983–1997

Republicans

Senator Sam Brownback

Sam Brownback, born September 12, 1956, in Kansas, senior Senator from that state, is well known for his social and fiscal conservative record, such as opposing abortion and instituting a flat tax alternative to the current IRS Code.

Brownback has said, "I'm a son of a farmer from Kansas ... I still think anybody can be president. I don't think you have to show up with $100 million to do it. ... I'm the tortoise in the race. And I don't like how the race starts; I like how it ends up."

Rudy Giuliani former mayor of New York City

Rudy Giuliani, born May 28, 1944, in New York, former mayor of New York City. Giuliani is pro-choice, and supports a type of civil union between same sex couples and agrees for legal and medical reasons that same sex relationships should get the same rights under the law.

He also believes in strong restrictions on the right to keep and bear arms and agrees with harsh punishment for illegal weapons or non permitted weapons.

If elected, Giuliani would be the first Italian-American to hold the office of president, the second Roman Catholic, following John Kennedy.

Mike Huckabee, former Governor of Arkansas

Mike Huckabee, born August 24, 1955, in Hope, Arkansas, served as Governor of Arkansas for over 10 years.

Representative Duncan Hunter

Duncan Hunter, born May 31, 1948, in Riverside, California, U.S. Representative from that state and former Chairman of the House Armed Services Committee.

He is known for his strong stance against illegal immigration, support and opposition to free trade agreements like North American Free Trade Agreement and the World Trade Organization.[29] He introduced H.R. 552, The Right to Life Act, "to implement equal protection . . . for the right to life of each born and preborn human person"; it has over 100 co-sponsors.

Dr. Alan Keyes

Alan Keyes, born August 7, 1950, is a former Reagan administration diplomat, a Harvard-educated constitutional scholar, and a conservative political activist. He is also a former television and radio talk show host.

Senator John McCain

John McCain, born August 29, 1936, in the US-controlled Panama Canal Zone, Senator from Arizona. Often characterized as a Republican maverick in the Senate, he is well-known.

McCain's bipartisan compromise on judicial nominations and his strong support of campaign finance reform have drawn the ire of many groups, many of which have vowed to work against any McCain campaigns for the Republican nomination in 2008.

However, he has a strong stance on many issues and economically falls more along the lines of traditional "fiscal conservatism." These factors, along with his commitment to the War on Terror (including Iraq) have boosted his popularity amongst conservatives since 2004, when he emphasized these traits while stumping for Republican candidates.

Representative Ron Paul

Ron Paul, born August 20, 1935, in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, is a long time U.S. Representative from Texas with a strong constitutionalist and libertarian voting record. Paul has been nicknamed "Dr. No" for his opposition to tax increases and spending bills.

He has chastened his fellow Republicans for abandoning the party's ideals, and for helping to create an unsustainable national debt now in the trillions of dollars.[31] Paul seeks to "reinstate the Constitution and restore the Republic."[32]

He is not running as a Libertarian as he did nearly two decades ago. Paul has the distinction of being opposed to the Iraq War and interventionist US foreign policy. He is one of 7 Republican congressman who voted against Iraq War authorization in October 2002. He has also opposed George W. Bush and the majority of Republican congressmen on many other issues, including the PATRIOT Act. His record on these issues means he may draw support from some surprising circles, including anti-war activists and paleoconservatives.

Mitt Romney, former Governor of Massachusetts

Mitt Romney, born March 12, 1947, in Michigan, is former Governor of Massachusetts; he did not seek a second term in November 2006. Romney is running on his record as co-founder of Bain Capital, the CEO of the 2002 Winter Olympics, and his record as Governor of Massachusetts.

Although he ran as a moderate for the office of Governor of Massachusetts and during his failed Senate bid in 1994, he supported more conservative positions as his term progressed.

Representative Tom Tancredo

Tom Tancredo, born December 20, 1945, in Colorado, U.S. Representative from that state and leading advocate for more restrictive immigration policies.

Fred Thompson, former Senator of Tennessee

Fred Dalton Thompson, born August 19, 1942, former Senator from Tennessee and actor, best known for playing D.A. Arthur Branch on Law & Order.

"I think people are somewhat disillusioned. I think a lot of people are cynical out there. I think they're looking for something different."