View Single Post
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2022-07-08, 10:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
I find the exact opposite to be true, the videos it shows me are only similar to what I have watched or channels I'm subscribed to, making it harder to find new or different content without specifically searching for it.
That's the thing that's so perplexing and disappointing to me.

My recommended content is about evenly split between:
  • new videos from creators I'm already subscribed to (this is fine, but I'll just use the Subscriptions page)
  • videos I've already watched (and often already hit the like button maybe months or years ago)
  • videos I have no interest in watching

I accept that my viewing habits are probably outliers that the algorithm doesn't know what to do with. Lots of STEM and general longer-form educational content. Various indie instrumental music and covers. Occasional old-world-YouTube gamers.

checking the homepage now for some new ideas

No, I don't want to watch Minions.
No, I don't want to see "5 ramen taboos".
No, I don't want to see Dave Chappelle going on another transphobic rant.
No, I don't want to meal-prep a crate of breakfast burritos for a morning "life hack".
No, I don't want to watch some guy cook bacon on a steam engine.
No, for gods sake, I don't want to see anything Trump has to say.

[okay.jpg]

What really bothers me is when recommendations are clearly paid partnership promotions that have even less to do with my interests. I will never watch professional sports on YouTube, for example, but that's something that seasonally crops up for no good reason.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.