View Single Post
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2009-10-15, 13:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
No, I'm comparing IKEA to anything else at anywhere near the same price points, which is only fair. IOW, a $2,000 Nelson desk being of higher quality than a $200 IKEA one doesn't necessarily reflect poorly on the IKEA desk. One would expect the Nelson to be of higher quality, and of course I'd rather have the Nelson, but I don't have $4,000 to spend on my workstation (oh, if I did...).
Now, and I am going to regret writing this, that isn't fair to the big box stores. Their do-it-yourself furniture is cheaper than IKEA virtually every time. But, again, it's all shit. There is a fundamental reason for it being shit, besides the disposable design aspects: they are tailoring their pieces of furniture to be able to be built on site by the average consumer (which is a scary thought). This requires immense sacrifices of quality and engineering tolerances that higher quality furniture doesn't have to make.

Quote:
I've never had anything from IKEA break on me. The closest is that my spare pillow got lumpy. Maybe you're just a klutz
You are either lying, or you are buying things that cannot break. Let me do a quick comparison: I have collapsable shelves from BB&B that have survived three moves. They are showing their age because the metal shelf supports are bending due to the weight of the books on them. This is cheap shit that has lasted. On the other hand, my ex-girlfriend's IKEA shelves purchased for twice as much didn't survive one move intact. The difference is the fact that IKEA cuts corners on materials and designed lifetime because it can. Even my higher end kitchen table/chairs are mysteriously failing. This compares unfavorably to the shitty tv stand that I got for free that does it's job and provides no complaint.

Quote:
It's not like I'm madly in love with IKEA or something, but saying that everything they make is crap is just not at all accurate, in my experience. Please, do tell me where I should have gotten my furniture. I'd love to know.
I am not the one suggesting that one store can provide for all your needs furniture wise. I am the one pointing out that that one store makes shit. If you really are so full of your "design" sensibilities that you cannot be bothered to look at used furniture, it's your loss. It's a personality issue -- you don't like being at the whims of what is available, you want immediate satisfaction and I do believe there is something wrong with that.