View Single Post
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2011-04-08, 01:22

Ok: After everyone logged off I tested our working hypothesis that mob spawns (at the very least passive mob spawns) are being adversely affected by the large number of tamed wolves on the map.

Unfortunately it was absolutely clear that this was true. At the passive mob trap, if I could *see* (on far) Thunderpoit's sphere and his (and presumably just beyond) SpecMode's wolves, the trap was completely inactive. Moving south away from those locations only resulted in the trap becoming active when I couldn't *see* the sphere [this was repeated both at night and day]. It seems like if the wolves are in visualized (as opposed to and including active) chunks, they count towards the total number of passive mobs. This is one of the reasons why passive mobs seem much more rare when areas with large numbers of tame wolves are theoretically able to be *seen*.

Brad and I discussed making a cap of 2 wolves/player; as this will provide the benefits of having wolves (which are???) and reduce the detriment on other players, so please would you cull your wolf herds?

This may just be a temporary bug (like the constant whimpering) or something that we are stuck with.

Also note: from what I read, the migration to the new operating system *may* result in the wolf herds disappearing... it wasn't me

Last edited by billybobsky : 2011-04-08 at 01:33.