View Single Post
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2019-08-09, 15:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Bobsky View Post
Still, it has terrible resale value, Germans seemingly won't take it even if it is given away for free. And I'm too deep into the "i don't think we should throw everything away or move everything" anytime I move regime that this is immensely distasteful.
That’s unfortunate. Portland has a pretty big freecycling/buy-nothing community, so I’ve never had a problem finding a new home for our IKEA furniture.

Honestly, most furniture has pretty terrible resale value. Not even just the flat-pack stuff — have you ever tried to sell a sofa? It’s nightmare city, just donate it and save yourself the headache. I think most people just don’t like buying used furniture, unless it’s something really unique or antique and they’re a furniture enthusiast or something. Most new furniture is just so cheap now, and honestly that $3000 sectional from Ashley is just as disposable as one from IKEA, and I think maybe used sofas squick people out a bit, like a used mattress or something. People just don’t see a lot of value in most used furniture. So unless it’s antique or designer furniture you can put in a consignment shop or something, selling used furniture never feels like it’s worth the hassle.

Anyway, the only thing that I absolutely wouldn’t get at IKEA is a desk chair. I don’t know what it is but they don’t have any that I like, and they never have. And a good desk chair is so, so important.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong