View Single Post
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-03-12, 13:59

Fine, Sony. They couldn't design a website if their life depended on it, but at least they have an "Advisor" (you know your product line is messed up if you need to guide your customers through it).

So by the time we specify the requirements to vaguely match the MacBook Pro (in this case, I specified Notebook, 12-15" or 15-20", 3-5 lbs or 5-10 lbs, Cameras, Bluetooth and Dual Core), only two options are left, the VGN-FE590PA and the VGN-FE590PB. Aaaa-choooomp!

Let's start out by looking at the price tag. Ooohoo! Now doesn't that look familiar. $2199 for the first, $1899 for the second. Strange, isn't it.

Second, weight. 6.17 lbs in both cases; that's 10.2% above the MacBook Pro's. Not terrible, but not great either.

Dimensions. Again, they're both the same. They specify two different heights since their designer team doesn't understand the concept of a 'surface' either, but that's okay; we'll compare both. The lower dimensions are 17.4% larger than Apple's. The upper dimensions? Maybe you didn't want to know: the two offerings are both a whopping 60.0% larger.

But let's continue.

The right model has 1.83 GHz, so that's what we want to compare against. Let's leave the left one out for the remainder of the post.

We're talking about the same CPU and all, so bus speed etc. are going to be the same as well.

A-ha! RAM. Finally something where the Sony shines. It comes with twice as much as the MBP does. For the same configuration, Apple's prices goes $100 up.

$1899 vs. $2099.

But wait: Sony's RAM is 533 MHz, and Apple's is 667 MHz. Let's assume $50 difference.

Hard drive. Again, the Sony comes with a better configuration. Add $100 for Apple.

$1949 vs. $2199.

Screen resolution. Sony loses out: Apple's resolution is 26.6% higher. This kind of BTO option is usually worth at least $100, if not more, but Sony doesn't appear to have any BTO options at all. Let's assume $100.

$2049 vs. $2199.

Further, Sony's screen uses "I love to look into mirrors" coating, which some people for whatever reason prefer. A matter of opinion, I suppose; I personally could never work with something like that.

DVD burner. Sony clearly wins here: their burner is basically the same as the last-generation 15-inch PowerBook's. Apple can't use that one, as it's slimline, as opposed to ultra-slimline. Either way: Sony wins. Let's assume $50 difference.

$2049 vs. $2249.

Card reader. An accessory worth nothing more than a few dollars, and likely to be in your way, but let's generously assume $10 difference.

$2049 vs. $2259.

Graphics card. Ehehehe. Sony's graphics use shared memory. Let's assume $100 difference.

$2149 vs. $2259.

Bluetooth. Apple has Bluetooth 2.0+EDR; Sony doesn't specifically state so. Let's assume $20 difference.

$2169 vs. $2259.

Now, you'll notice that quite a few price changes here are artificial on my part, making the whole thing rather non-empirical. (Don't try this at home, kids.)

Sadly, though, there is no other way: without these important changes, you simply can't fairly compare the laptops at all. And now, what do we have? We have a difference of $90. Well, woah, clearly Apple is overpriced! A shocking 4% more expensive!

And even then, you're left with a laptop that's significantly thicker and quite a bit heavier, too, both of which are important for something portable.

Not to mention I haven't actually compared battery life between the two; mere technical specs can't really do that.

Last edited by chucker : 2006-03-12 at 14:05.