View Single Post
Dave
Ninja Editor

2021-01-08, 13:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
709, does that OWC one pass 85W? I had it preordered when they first announced it but cancelled when I saw it was only 60W.
Out of curiosity, is that actually a problem? Most computers aren't running flat-out all the time, and, at least in my experience, laptops less frequently than desktops. Does it hurt anything to use an under-spec'd PS to keep a laptop charged up while it's mostly idle and then let it pull from its battery and the PS while under heavy load? I've always assumed it'd be fine, but I don't think I've ever tried it. I mean, I suppose it'll depend on how sophisticated the charging and power delivery circuits are, but with USB-C and TB 3 both being able shove so much power through all those ports, maybe that level of sophistication is inherently necessary these days.

When I was a kid, people who did wrong were punished, restricted, and forbidden. Now, when someone does wrong, all of the rest of us are punished, restricted, and forbidden... and the one who did the wrong is counselled and "understood" and fed ice cream.