View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-08-15, 12:33

I'm hearing that a lot today...

I've read no fewer than four reviews that reference Miley Cyrus/Hanna Montana in relation to that new female Jedi apprentice (the one you see in the trailers, talking all sassy and mallrat-ish).

That alone severely dampened my interest and enthusiasm. I really don't need to hear "like, whatever..." in a "Star Wars" movie, thanks. Not ever.

Just seems like such a blatant "girl grab" (where was this character in the prequels?). A toy-selling, demographic lunge...

Yeah, I know, I know...I should "see this for myself" before making such statements, but I don't think I can stand to. I trust the reviewers I've read, and the prequels pretty much tell me all I need to know in terms of what to expect from modern-day George. And the trailers for this thing, while snazzy and gorgeous visually, comes across like such a cringe-inducing turd (which was kinda the same deal with the prequels...better FX than 1977 or 1980 could ever hope for, but, obviously, it takes more than "stunning CGI and visuals" to create a compelling movie). All the visual splendor and cool-ass CG in the world can't fix dopey writing, acting and dialogue and convoluted, "who cares?" plots. 1999, 2002 and (to a slightly lesser degree) 2005 taught me that.

I'm afraid I'd just get upset and sad, watching this...

I guess I'm having one of those "I wish we didn't hear about 'Star Wars' ever again after 1983" kinda days...

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2008-08-15 at 12:45.