Thread: MC: Tall Town
View Single Post
kscherer
Which way is up?

2015-12-12, 00:36

Attention builders:

Tall Town awaits you. We are looking for the few, the proud, the brave! Come one, come all and reach for the sky!

Two finished (but unclaimed) 42x42 lots await your development skills—and many future lots are planned. The rules are simple:

1) All structures must be at least 100 blocks tall (that's 164 from bedrock)
2) All structures must be designed to mimic either real or imagined office-type skyscrapers. It's not tall for the sake of tall, but for beauty in architectural design
3) All structures must be sound from an engineering standpoint—there must be a physical reality to the tower, i.e. no unsuspended or unsupported blocks or unrealistic structure
4) No torches are permitted. Glowstone, Prismarine Lanterns, End Rods (1.9) or other mechanical light sources are the only lighting sources permitted
5) Please limit exterior lighting to decorative, not structural or primary
6) Light the interior so the windows glow at night
7) Ground level should be half-slabs to reduce mob spawns without the need for lights
8) Interiors do NOT have to be "finished" and can be completely hollow. Tall Town is an exterior design intended to give the scale of height
9) All structures need to be capable of containing a 15x15x15 internal structure at +10 and +100 above ground level (for a future project Tall Town is intended for)
10) Pick any lot you wish. If one does not exist, teraform one. Please remember the street and existing lot dimensions, landscaping and street lighting
11) The only street-level lighting permitted are street lights. I want this thing to be dark during the night, where the light sources come from street lamps and the building interiors
12) Be creative. Think like an architect/engineer. If it looks implausible in real life, it is implausible!

I think that's all the rules. I'm looking for realism in this build. I was going to do it alone, but several players have voiced interest, so I am making it a public build. Make as many as you want. I only want it to have the feel of walking around in a high-rise, inner-city area (think New York, Chicago, Dubai, Hong Kong, Taipai (*winks at Brad*), etc. Think outside the box, but inside the realism of physics and engineering possibilities.

I hope to ignite some serious construction in that corner of the map.

Also, a note to Grey: If you want to plot out a portal (overworld and Nether) please do so. You are the master of such things!

Oh, yeah. The lots to the East somehow wound up being 42x45. No idea what happened. They will get fixed.

Oh, and name your tower. I haven't put up signs for my designs, yet, but I know what they are: Monument Tower, Four Water Place, an unnamed project, and Diamond Plaza (thanks to Grey's "Creative" spirit, this one is possible )

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)