View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-08-05, 09:11

Why is it that Apple seems to always be on the butt-end of getting faster chips/processors? I mean, we all suffered through that Motorola stall-out a few years ago (the 50MHz drop, the 500MHz year-long stall, the sluggish creeping/growth of the G4, etc.).

We were so happy last summer at the unveiling of the G5 and IBM's new role.

A year later, it suddenly feels like 1999-2002 again.

I'm not a Spec Whore, so I'm not bitching on MY "performance losses" (I have none, and am happy as a clam with my PowerBook). But they were slow out of the gate with the dual 2.0 G5s last fall, they missed the 3GHz mark (fine, whatever...stuff happens), these new liquid-cooled 2.5GHz towers are, again, slow out of the gate AND - most importantly - the iMac rollout got massively screwed up.

I know it's not about processor alone, but you look over at the other side and see 2.8 and 3.2 this and that and can't help but wonder "why can't Apple seem to ever get there, or get even a decent supply of sub-2.5GHz stuff?"

Apple could drop IBM tomorrow and sign some sort of thing with Intel and I'd bet you it would somehow stall out at 2.6GHz.

Again, I don't care in a "real world" sense. However, it just looks bad. The image it projects and the delays and unfulfilled orders that results just make us seem so lacking in that one department.

I guess it's God's way of keeping us in check. I mean, it wouldn't be fair to have a superior OS, digital media apps, hardware design AND the blazingest scorching processors too, huh? Three out of four isn't bad, I suppose. Imagine how obnoxious, as a platform/community, we'd be otherwise.