Thread: Apple Watch
View Single Post
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2015-06-21, 08:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
The 42mm is outselling the 38mm by 4-5x, and rightfully so. I think the band sizing chart is the best way to choose. If your wrist is <150mm, then you basically have to get a 38mm. Everyone else should choose the 42mm unless they really know the look they're after.
My wrists are pretty small. When I first tried on my 42mm Sport Black Fluoroelastomer with the default Medium/large band, I found that even in the last hole, the fit was probably going to be just loose enough that I felt the Heart Rate sensor might not make reliable contact. Cue a quick switch (super easy - clever design) to the enclosed Small/Medium strap, and I'm comfortable in the middle (4th of 8) hole... sometimes in the one looser (5th of 8).

The fact the Sport band ships with both sizes is a bonus. For the price of some of the other bands, you'd think they'd throw in the alternative size strap.

My hands are pretty large though. I tried the Milanese loop in both its steel and leather incarnations, and while the greater customisation of fit provided by the magnetic closure may allow for better contact and comfort, I found it difficult to slide the watch over my hand. If I can squeeze my hand smaller or they increase the size of the straps by another cm or two, I would be keen to get one in this style. Awesome magnets, man.

That said... unless you have childlike arms, or are pathologically terrified by slightly larger watches, personally I struggle to see why one would sacrifice the larger screen and battery of the 42 for the fractionally smaller (4mm diagonal) face of the 38.

For some folks, I'm sure the option of "38 now... or 42 if you wait" will prove a tough choice. We had to wait for shipment anyway, so decided to get the best we could. If only the 38 was in stock at the time, the GF might have pushed to sacrifice size for instant gratification.

All those who believe in telekinesis, raise my hand.