Thread: New iMacs
View Single Post
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2020-08-04, 19:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Interesting. Apple's RAM prices did not rise when they started soldering it on with the MacBook Air and then the MacBook Pro. They have remained pretty consistent, even with the 27" iMacs where the user can install their own RAM.

Not saying Apple's prices are cheap, but they haven't gone up just because soldering is used.
I’m talking about a long time ago, when RAM for Macs only worked for Macs. I doubt they’ll move away from standard DDR configs, but who knows. Considering current Apple RAM prices are doubt retail price, for the same DIMMs, it can’t get much worse. I did get Apple to factory upgrade my 2018 Mac Mini because I couldn’t be bothered buying another new set of tools just to open the thing up, and at the time Apples prices were much closer to retail.

I feel bad for people getting the entry level 21” iMac today, still shipping with a dual core 7th gen i5 chip -7360U - (from 1st Q 2017, and still selling that sucker at full price) way to penny pinch Apple. It’s not even about the speed, I suspect those things are getting close to EOL, so unless Apple stocks up you are screwed if the thing dies.