View Single Post
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2020-08-20, 17:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
All of that crap tells me that Apple is on the right path.
All modern CPU's use boost modes (yes even the A series from Apple), like Intel does. It is more power efficient for simple tasks that only need one or two cores to get those types of things done quickly. I remember people here getting hyped when the first Intel chips introduced turbo boost. The weakness and high power draw is more noticeable on a desktop Windows machine since motherboard manufactures generally have a all Core turbo boost on by default, that only stops if your chip isn't well cooled. Now that really sucks power from the wall when you are running a 6+ core chip at 5Ghz! Most Mac's thermal throttle too fast to support such all core turbos, since other than the Mac Pro, the cooling solutions suck across the board. Not saying Asus/Gigabyte etc systems that are similar are better, because they an't. Mac's tend to be held back performance wise by the cooling, compared to a custom desktop PC anyway. I've had the same CPU in a Mac and PC, when running cross platform apps, and it was no contest which was faster (it wasn't the Mac).

For me Apple doesn't compete with Mac's vs Windows. I just have both. Long gone are my days of being a "Mac guy", and Windows is easily my daily driver. When I just have light work or no work at all, to do a Mac is good enough. If you'd asked me that 15 years ago, the story was different, I don't think I even used a Windows PC until the late 1990's.

Last edited by PB PM : 2020-08-20 at 17:29.