View Single Post
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2020-08-22, 15:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Yes, I forgot Core Duo was Yonah, not Conroe, the latter was the name that stuck in my mind though. Intel was really counting on the Atom platform going head to head with ARM. They put a lot into Atom, knowing that low power stuff was the future, but it was a flop. They had no meaningful competition in the x86/x64 space for 10-12 years and now it’s all backfired on them at once. It’s likely why they are investing in SSD and compute GPU spaces.
Yeah, betting big on Atom (so much that they sold their XScale ARM efforts) didn't quite work out either. I'm not enough of an expert on how much of a role it being CISC played in that.

I do wonder whatever happened to Optane/3D XPoint. They pushed it for a while, but I've never ever heard of anyone mentioning it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Given the push to make everything SaaS I wouldn't be shocked if that really is the route they go. Why have a computer when "the cloud" can do all the work?
Privacy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
I can totally see Apple going cloud based. Apple makes more money on the services they provide than hardware, so that would just be the next step. They've already done it will Apple Music, why not the works? Apple want to increase profits, and that's the way to do it.
Because it would cannibalize their existing hardware, and because they wouldn't be that great at it. This isn't a strength of theirs.

Why would anyone buy a $2000 Mac or $800 iPhone when the software runs in the cloud anyway, so performance doesn't matter, and they can get a $300 Chromebook and $150 Nokia?