Thread: 2020 Apple
View Single Post
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2019-12-25, 13:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
I don't follow all the various storage/capacity offerings from other companies that much, but am I out of line for thinking that Apple's free 5GB, in 2019/2020, seems a little on the chintzy, low side? I know some of that is offset by some things not fully counting toward that 5GB, etc. But still, doesn't it seem a little dinky compared to some others out there? It hasn't budged in ages, so I can only assume Apple is sitting on some internal data/polling that tells that "5GB free is all most people need, and they should be happy to have it".

As I said the other week, I guess you don't get to be a $1T outfit by being super accommodating, generous and just giving shit away, huh?
So in 2011, iCloud launched with these tiers:

- 5GB free
- 15GB for $20/year
- 25GB for $40/year
- 55GB for $100/year

Now it's:

- 5GB free
- 50GB for $12/year
- 200GB for $36/year
- 2TB for $120/year

(I'm rounding up because they're actually monthly now.)

So the paid plans have actually become a way better deal over the past nine years (which makes sense, since we also do a heck of a lot more with iCloud now). And yet the free plan has remained the same.