View Single Post
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-12-30, 19:43

I'm not going to worry over all the details. Scates has done a thorough job of outlining that stuff, and I agree with much of what he said.

Where I disagree with his argument is in the overall story that was Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker.

As a Star wars movie, I thought it was fun and entertaining. I literally found myself on the edge of my seat a few times, and I got teary eyed at least twice. There were spots that were very moving and I enjoyed that.

As a continuation of the Star Wars saga, I thought the movie was brilliant. I agree that there were a number of areas that would have been better served if written differently, but I cannot and will not let that detract from what I thought of the story as a whole.

First, the gripes:

- The Han Solo scene was not well done. I agree with Scates (after the fact) that it would have been better to have Anakin in that place, and appearing as a Force Ghost rather than a live action character.

- Rose served absolutely no purpose. And I mean absolutely none!

- I appreciated this version letting go of most of the virtue signaling, but the girly kiss at the end was not necessary in a Star wars movie. It added nothing other than checking a box.

- The new female character (the one riding the horsey thing) didn't add anything.

- C-3PO was annoying as ever.

- Scates is right that the horror setups involving Chewie and goldenrod didn't work (although I was sad about Chewie and actually thought they may have killed him off, and I was hopeful that 3PO was gone for good!).

Those are my biggest gripes.

The good stuff is pretty much everything else. I loved the story as a whole; I loved what they did with Rey; I loved that Poe was less of a smart ass; I loved the cinematography, the soundtrack, and the effects. There were areas where the dialogue could have been improved, but I thought it was very good as a whole. Yes, it spent a lot of time trying to clear up the mess that was The last Jedi, but I think they did a very good job of it, especially with character chemistry which was vastly improved over VIII.

Still have more thoughts, but must update my list of Star Wars movie favs list:

1) Rogue One
2) VII
3) IV
4) IX
5) V
6) VI
7) Solo
8) III
9) I
10) II
12) VIII

I think that list changes as I reflect on the movies. For instance, Episode III has moved up from last place due to the excellent battle between Obi Wan and Anakin. Otherwise, it's crap! Episode VIII shot to the bottom like a rocket. Pretty sad that anything in the saga could be worse than the prequels, but Rian Johnson managed to outdo Lucas for the bottom spot. Also, it is possible that Episode IX will move up after I see it again (or perhaps down). I need more time to think it over, but my first impression remains very positive.

I'll post more thoughts as time and attitude permit.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)