View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2019-12-31, 12:00

EDIT: Eh, screw it...I answered my own question. Something J.J. might wanna look into...

But I'd be interested in hearing what you guys thought of the Force-healing thing (complete with Wolverine-esque "like it never happened" wound-closing/vanishing) that just randomly dropped into this movie, after eight movies of zero mention/use. Is it tied to Baby Force Frog (obviously, in some way...that species may be special because they're born with it and know, even as a baby/child, how to use it and when?), and Rey learned about it from the Jedi book-reading she's been doing between episodes 8 and 9?

I can buy into all that because I assume those ancient Jedi journals are full of that sort of thing (would've been nice to have a little explanation/reason, but that's not J.J.'s thing, I know), but how does Kylo come to use it? Is that explained through his Force bond with Rey and he just "knew", from looking into her mind (as she was lying there, dead)?

Okay, fine. Whatever.

If it's some ancient, established Jedi power, it seemed Obi-Wan might've seen fit to use it on Qui-Gon after Maul stabbed him (in the same manner/location Rey jabbed Kylo) in The Phantom Menace? But I guess I'm gonna go with Obi-Wan, still in apprentice mode, wasn't far enough along in his training to know/understand that particular set of skills (see what I did there) to save his master, Liam Neeson.

Can we at least all agree that this ability/power, not seen over eight movies/four decades, seemed a bit out-of-nowhere/random to be dropped into the final installment, halfway in? I don't like to be spoon-fed things either, but sometimes 10-20 seconds of clever or well-written explanation/exposition can nicely de-WTF?! a movie that's desperately in need of a dose.

My only other question/comment regarding this stupid thing: seeing as how Palpatine pretty much died the exact same way he did 30+ years ago in Return of the Jedi (his own Force-lightning directed/inflicted upon himself, and then he blew up), where's the guarantee that this time did the trick? Because it didn't quite take the last time, right? Why all the celebration and relief when it's known that the man cheated death before? In another 20-30 years, assuming anyone even gives a shit about any of this at that point, what's to keep Disney from bringing him back again?

Nothing, that's what.

There is literally zero earned "victory" here, big picture, because that simple notion now hangs over everything. The man seemed pretty confident in his ability to not stay dead/gone, so I don't see how this is some big "payoff" moment in the movie. When I saw it last week, I literally muttered to myself "yeah, and this is what happened last time and the a-hole still came back, so...?"

If nobody really "dies" in these movies (except for Greedo and Porkins, apparently), then what's the point?

The Jedi can heal fatal wounds and raise each other from the dead now, and Sith masters can get electrocuted, explode and still manage to return, decades later (and be orchestrating everything behind-the-scenes). It all just seems a bit pointless, big picture. How high can the stakes possibly be when no Jedi can truly die now and the Sith seem onto something of their own as well (those "unnatural" pathways).

This terrifies me because now it means that a new trilogy could come at some point where CGI Force ghost Mark Hamill/Robert Plant leads CGI Neeson, Guinness, Jackson, etc. in a battle with - you guessed it - Palpatine and his even [i]bigger[/] armada of Star Destroyers, all piloted by Boba Fett and Darth Maul clones! Don't laugh...somewhere within Disney, someone's probably mulling over this very scenario.

This property, as much as it really needs to, is never going to move forward, I fear. They're gonna pound that Skywalker/O.T. fan-service sausage until the lights go out.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2019-12-31 at 13:58.