View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-07-24, 07:41

Years and years ago, when I worked at Camp Pendleton, we had Motorola StarMax 3000/180 (does that sound right?). I remember they were 603 chips and were 180MHz. At the time, they were indeed the shit.

This was pre-G3.

Someone I knew had a PowerComputing PowerBase 180 at his house and another person had an earlier PowerComputing something-or-other that he bought from the first guy.

I remember, around 1996 or so, looking at MacUser magazine (where PowerComputing always ran full page ads) and really considering getting one, and a matching 17" monitor (I still had a Quadra 610 at the time, so ANYTHING was a step up...and the PowerComputing stuff seemed more affordable AND more generously-equipped than the Apple stuff at the time).

But things didn't go exactly my way for a few years there and I ended up eventually, in February 1999, getting an iMac DV, which was TOTALLY worth the wait.

I remember the clones well. And I remember how an odd time that was (mid-late 90's)...

The absolute BEST thing about PowerComputing was their ballsy, "they suck, we don't" marketing and approach to the platform wars. It was the first time I'd seen a company - Apple included - seem to really carry the Mac flag, and carry it proudly. Heaven knows Apple, then AND now, doesn't seem to do it aggressively enough.