View Single Post
Gizzer

2009-05-06, 06:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
I love it when people assume that, because Twitter is clearly not for them, it cannot possibly be for anyone else either.
Very good point.

I use Twitter over Facebook precisely because it does one thing very well, and very simply. For me it's essentially a realtime news ticker with a very focused set of sources. Nearly all the people I follow are either application developers (representing their software company) or certain gadget blogs. I basically get the lowdown on the apps I love to use (what features they are working on for version x) and the head's up as to when a new version is ready, and it gives me the opportunity to give "live" feedback to a developer by bypassing all the "Contact Us" pages on a website. Developers also seem to enjoy posting a quick Tweet rather than filling out a whole article on their blog.

It also means I get news as it happens, without me having to subscribe to RSS feeds. I'd much rather fire up a Twitter client on my iPhone to "read the news" than fire up an RSS reader, because I know exactly who and what type of news I will be getting.

I'm not interested in knowing what people ate for breakfast, but I am interested in keeping informed.