View Single Post
Windswept
On Pacific time

2005-02-14, 22:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratt
Long time... I think that is all Billybobsky meant. I certainly haven't seen you around for a while.. but I always seem to be embroiled in political rows elsewhere on Applenova. I am such a trouble maker!!
Hi, Scratt. Yeah, I haven't been around for a month or so. The last time we talked was in a thread about a deer being hit by a car, as I recall. And, yes, I guess you are a bit of a troublemaker, but only in the nicest possible way.

Quote:
I haven't read Bill Bryson, but I will check him out. A good yard arm of British humour and travel for me would be Michael Palin's books. How do you find them? And how do they compare to Bryson?
I haven't read any of Palin's books, but I really should, because I have enjoyed the television versions of his travels. It would definitely be interesting to compare him with Bryson. I wonder if they know each other? I bet they do... "the competition".

Quote:
I loved Michaels account of making his way up Mt.Everest and being very very sick. Whilst he was throwing up on the side of the trail a British guy was coming down the mountain (foot hills) and the sherpa guiding Michael pointed out who the sick person was and how incredibly famous he was. Michael was, understandably not too bothered about meeting anyone in his state but obviously had to be cordial. He spent the next hour on the side of Mt. Everest discussing hardware sales in the UK with this new found fan and nursing altitude sickness! Understatement, and struggling through adversity whilst laughing at ones own predicament is really much of the basis of good British humour. So your account of Mr.Bryson sitting upside down as it was the only way he could be comfortable sounds like he may have picked up at least some of that humour.
I would very much like to read the whole account of this episode. Sounds great. I can't believe it never occurred to me to read Palin's books. I'm just glad to think of so many delightful volumes in my future. Travel and humor...the best possible combination, I think. Honestly, Scratt, some parts of Bryson's books would make me laugh so hard my stomach would be clenched in agony. If Palin is only half as funny, it will be something to look forward to with anticipation. And thank you for your reply.